Terms of service
Digital Archives of the Jomon Prehistoric Sites in Northern Japan (Jomon Archives)
Terms of Service
The Digital Archives of the Jomon Prehistoric Sites in Northern Japan (Jomon Archives) (hereinafter referred to as “the Archives”) publishes information (hereinafter referred to as “the content”) regarding the component parts of the Jomon Prehistoric Sites in Northern Japan and its associated sites.
The content published in the Archives may be freely used, copied, transmitted to the public*1, translated, or otherwise modified, on the condition that you comply with points 1 to 8 below. Commercial use*2 of the content is also permitted.
Numerical data and simple tables, graphs, and so forth may be used freely; these Terms of Service do not apply to them as they are not under copyright. By using the content, you indicate your agreement with these Terms of Service.
*1 Transmission to the public includes the public screening of the content, its publication on the internet (e.g., one’s own websites, blogs, video sharing sites).
*2 Commercial use means any use of the content involving the transfer of money and/or goods that results in monetary gain or any activity involving such use. This includes using the content to buy or sell goods or to receive service orders, or using the content in promotions or advertisements for goods or services.
- Selling works created using the content
- Creating works using the content for a fee at the request of others
- Placing advertisements in works created using the content
- Using the content in publications such as books and magazines
- Using the content to create publications such as travel package pamphlets
- Using the content in newspaper articles or TV programs
To use any photograph and/or stock footage published in the Archives for commercial purposes, fill out the Download Application Form, specifying your name, affiliation, e-mail address, and the purpose of use.
1．User Obligations and Responsibilities
Users are prohibited from conducting any of the following acts when using the content.
- An act that is or may be against a law, a regulation, public order or morals
- An act that violates or may violate the rights or property of the Council for the Preservation and Utilization of World Heritage Jomon Prehistoric Sites (consisting of the governments of Hokkaido, Aomori Prefecture, Iwate Prefecture, Akita Prefecture, Hakodate City, Date City, Chitose City, Mori Town, Toyako Town, Aomori City, Hirosaki City, Hachinohe City, Tsugaru City, Sotogahama Town, Shichinohe Town, Ichinohe Town, Kazuno City, and Kitaakita City; hereinafter referred to as “the Council”)
- An act that causes or may cause damage to the Council.
2. Source Citation
- The content of the Archives is the copyright of the Council or the local governments that have jurisdiction over the component parts of the property and its associated sites (hereinafter referred to as “the Council and relevant local governments”).
- Cite the source when using the content. To use photographs and/or stock footage in the Archives (hereinafter referred to as “photographs and/or videos”), state the photographer/videographer, the owner of the artifact, etc. by following the examples of credits contained in the basic information of the photographs and/or videos.
(Citation examples for photographs)
Source: Jomon Archives [URL of the relevant page]
Source: Jomon Archives (Photo taken by the __ City Board of Education)
Source: Jomon Archives (Courtesy of the __ City Board of Education)
(Citation example of stock footage)
Courtesy of the Council for the Preservation and Utilization of World Heritage Jomon Prehistoric Sites in Northern Japan
(Example of other resources)
Source: Report on __ [URL of the relevant page]
(3)When using content that has been edited, indicate this separately from the source citation. You are prohibited from publishing or otherwise using edited content that could be misconstrued as having been created by the Council and relevant local governments. Some photographs are not permitted to be modified, so be sure to check the basic information of each photograph in advance.
(Citation examples for edited content)
Edited content sourced from the Jomon Archives [URL of the relevant page]
Prepared by Company __ based on the content sourced from the Jomon Archives [URL of the relevant page]
3. No Infringement of Third-Party Rights
- In some cases, a third party (referring to a party other than the Council and relevant local governments; hereinafter the same) may hold copyrights or other rights to a part of the content. For content where a third party holds copyrights or other rights (e.g., portrait rights in a photograph, publicity rights), it is the responsibility of the user to obtain consent for use from the third party unless there is explicit indication that the rights have already been cleared.
- If a third party holds rights to part of the content, the said fact may be directly or indirectly stated or indicated through source citations, but in some cases the part of the content to which the third party holds the rights may not be clear or may not be explicitly stated. It is the responsibility of the user to confirm the rights pertaining to use of the content.
- Even if a third party holds copyrights, some use of the content, such as quotations, may be allowed without the consent of the copyright holder, under the Copyright Act of Japan.
4. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
- These Terms of Service are governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- In the event of a dispute relating to the use of the content based on these Terms of Service, or relating to the Terms of Service themselves, the user agrees that the court of exclusive jurisdiction in the first instance shall be the district court with jurisdiction over the place where the Council or the local government(s) in charge of the component part(s) of the property or its associated site(s) that has published the disputed content or Terms of Service is located.
- While every effort is made to ensure that the information in the Archives is current and accurate, the Council and relevant local governments are in no way liable for any action taken by content users (including use of information based on edited content).
- The Council and relevant local governments neither endorse nor authorize the information or information resources that are available in the Archives. The Council and relevant local governments also disclaim any responsibility for the accuracy, legality or safety of websites that are linked from the Archives and any information contained thereon.
- The content may be modified, moved, or deleted without prior notice.
7．Requests That You Share with the Archives Copies of Your Publications That Include Photographs and/or Videos from the Archives
If you use photographs and/or videos in the Jomon Archives in a publication, such as a book, magazine, textbook,
educational material, or an academic thesis, please send a copy of the publication (which shows how the photographs and/or videos were used) to the Secretariat for the Council and to the following local governments which hold copyright on the photographs and/or videos.
Places for you to submit your publication for sharing:
◎Secretariat for the Council for the Preservation and Utilization of World Heritage Jomon Prehistoric Sites
c/o World Cultural Heritage Registration Promotion Office, Department of Policy and Planning, Aomori Prefectural Government
Address: Nagashima 1-chome 1-1, Aomori City, Aomori Prefecture, 030-8570
Tel.: +81-17-734-9183 ; Fax: +81-17-734-8128
E-mail: sekaiisan*pref.aomori.lg.jp Note: Replace the asterisk with the at-mark, @, when you send an e-mail.
◎Local governments in charge of component parts and associated sites
Kakinoshima Site (Historic Site)
Ofune Site (Historic Site)
World Heritage Registration Promotion Office, Cultural Properties Division, Lifelong Learning Department, Hakodate City Board of Education
Address: Shinonome-cho 4-13, Hakodate, Hokkaido, 040-8666
Kitakogane Site (Historic Site)
Date City Institute of Funkawan Culture (Cultural Properties Section, Date City Board of Education)
Address: Kashima-cho 20-1, Date, Hokkaido, 052-0024
Kiusu Earthwork Burial Circles (Historic Site)
Chitose City Buried Cultural Properties Center, Chitose City Board of Education
Address: Osatsu 42-1, Chitose, Hokkaido, 066-0001
Takasago Burial Site (Historic Sites)
Social Education Department, Toyako Town Board of Education
Address: Sakae-cho 58, Toyako, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido, 049-5692
Washinoki Stone Circle (Historic Site)
Social Education Department, Mori Town Board of Education
Address: Miyuki-cho 132, Mori, Kayabe-gun, Hokkaido, 049-2326
Sannai Maruyama Site (Special Historic Site)
Sannai Maruyama Jomon Culture Center
Address: Maruyama 305, Sannai, Aomori City, Aomori Prefecture, 038-0031
Komakino Stone Circle (Historic Site)
World Heritage Promotion Office, Cultural Assets Section, Aomori City Board of Education
Address: Shinmachi 1-chome 3-7, Aomori City, Aomori Prefecture, 030-0801
Omori Katsuyama Stone Circle (Historic Site)
Cultural Properties Section, Hirosaki City Board of Education
Address: Yoshita 1-1-1, Hirosaki, Aomori Prefecture, 036-1393
Korekawa Site (Historic Site)
Choshichiyachi Site (Historic Site)
Korekawa Archaeological Institution (Korekawa Jomon Kan)
Address: Yokoyama 1, Korekawa, Hachinohe, Aomori Prefecture, 031-0023
Tagoyano Site (Historic Site)
Kamegaoka Burial Site (Historic Site)
Department of Social Education and Culture, Tsugaru City Board of Education
Address: c/o Tsugaru City Lifelong Learning Exchange Center “Matsu no Yakata”
Kizukuri Wakamidori 52, Tsugaru, Aomori Prefecture, 038-3138
Odai Yamamoto Site (Historic Site)
World Heritage Management Office, Social Education Department, Sotogahama Town Board of Education
Address: Kanita Takadoya 44-2, Sotogahama, Higashi Tsugaru-gun, Aomori Prefecture, 030-1393
Futatsumori Site (Historic Site)
World Heritage Management Office, Shichinohe Town Board of Education
Address: Shichinohe 31-2, Shichinohe, Kamikita-gun, Aomori Prefecture, 039-2592
Goshono Site (Historic Site)
The Office for the Promotion of World Heritage Site Registration, Ichinohe Town Board of Education
Address: Goshono 2, Iwadate, Ichinohe, Ninohe-gun, Iwate Prefecture, 028-5316
Oyu Stone Circles (Special Historic Site)
Oyu Stone Circles Museum
Address: Manza 45, Oyu, Towada, Kazuno, Akita Prefecture, 018-5421
Isedotai Stone Circles (Historic Site)
Lifelong Learning Department, Kitaakita City Board of Education
Address: Kitaakita Citizens Fureai Plaza, Hanazono-cho 10-5, Kitaakita, Akita Prefecture, 018-3312
- These Terms of Service are not intended to restrict quotation protected by the Copyright Act of Japan nor are they intended to restrict similar uses.
- These Terms of Service were established on April 1, 2021 and may be modified in the future.
- These Terms of Service are compatible with the terms and conditions for licensing to exercise copyright under the Creative Commons License ( https://creativecommons.org/licenses. To find out about the Creative Commons licenses of the content to which these Terms of Service apply, see the license section of the content.
Date last modified: April 1, 2021